All cancer patients will qualify if the prognosis is 6-months or less
In addition when considering hospice services ask yourself…
- Are there life-limiting condition(s) affecting your patient?
- Has there been a progression of the disease?
- Has there been a need for frequent medical care?
- Is your patient dependent on help for most Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)?
- Has there been a weight loss greater than 10 percent over the last 6-months?
- (Also consider lab values such as serum albumin less than 2.5 g/dl; cholesterol less than 156 mg/dl; or Hematocrit (HCT) less than 41g/dl when evaluating your patient)
The following criterion provides a check-list per non-cancer diagnoses. (All cancer patients will qualify if the prognosis is 6-months or less.)
Heart Disease — CHF
Lung Disease — COPD
Dementia (Alzheimer’s or Multi-infarct)
COMA and CVA
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis